Friday, September 15, 2017

COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA TRIP - 4TH DAY - PART 1 - SEPTEMBER 4TH, 2017


Corolla, North Carolina Trip 
Fourth Day - Part 1- Beach and Birds
Monday, September 4th, 2017


We started our day off with another great walk on the beach.  Absolutely love looking out on the ocean.  Such a treat to be here to do this.  I miss living near but am content being given the gift of this week to enjoy.



A very nice lady walking by noticed that we were trying to take a selfie after I took this shot, and offered to take our photo. 



  We return the favor with others at every opportunity on this vacation.  Her kindness was appreciated.



I started to notice these fascinating tracks in the sand, and discovered what was making them, an Atlantic Ghost Crab.  They were everywhere and this one scurried into the hole a second later.  They live in the sand in burrows above the high water mark.  According to the website they have to return to the water every now and again to moisten their gills, or when their larvae is released into the sea.  They are otherwise terrestrial.



There were a few other people enjoying the beach.



It is always a sweet sight to see parents enjoying time with their children.



This little girl was having a great ride thanks to daddy.



There were a few fishermen along the shoreline.



We enjoy the seagulls who sometimes gave us curious looks, but most of the time paid us no mind.



Gregg spotted his sister and her sister-in-law making their way to the steps up to the house rental.



And here's another one of the house.



Back to the seagulls, this one was doing its calisthenics.  Wish I was that limber.



Time to continue our walk.




We didn't get very far as there were a few Sanderlings on the beach, another favorite.



I think this little one is a juvenile.  



I saw at least two pairs, one seemed to be begging its parent for food but parent was trying to ignore the persistent demands, on a mission to feed itself.



The little one was being taught to fend for itself.


We are heading to the lighthouse next but that will be in my next post.

37 comments:

  1. Fun times at the beach, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the reflections of the birds in the water in the last three pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a truly impressive house.
    Loved wandering the beach with you - and would love to be as supple as rather a lot of birds and animals. Cats particularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely place. I agree about those birds :)

      Delete
  4. I love ALL your bird pictures! Well, we are birdwatchers. I love on the shoreline, the colorful reflection of that umbrella! That just shows up how smooth the sand and water was on that day. I see why they are called Ghost Crabs. They blend in perfectly with the sand! A predator would need excellent vision to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ginny. There was so much to see and photograph on that beach, I have many photos I have yet to share. You know, I could have sworn I saw a hawk hovering over the beach one day but I am not 100 percent sure.

      Delete
  5. I love all the views and wildlife in your photos, Denise! Fascinating tracks by that crab, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise, what a beautiful beach, must have been a delight to walk along and take in the sights, your Sanderling images are superb. Have a good break, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to say John, this beach was one of my favorites. I could have walked for miles, so much to see. Thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  7. This is a 'wish I was there' post. Watching birds and enjoying the smell of sea water would go down a treat right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the crab photo and the Sanderling shots with reflections are fantastic. The house looks great but I am not happy being that close to the sea other that very short visits. Have a good weekend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, interesting little crabs and I always enjoy the Sanderlings. Have a good weekend too, Denise :)

      Delete
  9. Hello, beautiful images from your beach trip. I love the ocean and beach. The gulls and the cute Sanderling is adorable. The ghost crabs are cool. The house is beautiful. Lovely photos. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eileen and have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Denise, lovely photo of you and Gregg. Its nice when people are so nice, it costs nothing and shows how we can all get along. I love living here by the coast. When we were first married and living in our first house I would come home and Heather wanted me to take her to see the sea! When we moved back to the coast she was happy. I love to count the ships whenever we go along the sea road here in Margate. I love sea birds but many people dislike Gulls as here they tend to mob people if the have food. I am sitting here waiting for our Grandson,he is staying overnight as out daughters are away to see Craig David singing at Lingfield Park Racecourse and wont be home until late.
    XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Don, thank you :) I agree, costs nothing, being nice. I love gulls but yes they can be a bit scary if there is food around. I don't carry it. A llovely story about when you and Heather were first married. I do miss living near the ocean, probably why it feels so special when we visit now. Enjoy your grandson this weekend and I hope your daughters have a great time at the concert. Denise xxx

      Delete
  11. Yippee for someone offering to take a photo. That little bird is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I could have given her a bit hug. I agree about the little bird.

      Delete
  12. That crab really does blend well into the sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you have to watch where you are walking.

      Delete
  13. Really love your shots of the Sanderlings - caught both in shadow and reflection on the sand. Wow! Thank you - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, thank you and so glad you liked them :)

      Delete
  14. It's always so nice to spend time at the beach. You are a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi and yes, always love a trip to the beach.

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful trip! You got some great photos of the birds. I grew up near the beach, but now I am about 40 miles from the coast and I miss it, except during hurricane season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lois. Our nearest beach is about 100 miles away so I am always happy to go there. No, not during hurricane season. Hope all was well with you during and after Irma.

      Delete
  16. I could happily spend months at this beach! What a lovely spot & your photos of all the goings on there are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another fabulous post Denise ... that beach looks very welcoming.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow lady you and that hubby or yours really get around! NC now and Calif back in the the summer. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are giving me some good ideas for future trips. We hope to do more of this type of thing after my husband retires in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Jacqueline. We started traveling more when my husband retired.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!